It appears the removal of Confederate statues and other “symbols of hate” is just the beginning of the purge of politically-incorrect historical figures. ChristianPost.com reports:
Following this misguided movement to heal racial division by tearing down “symbols of racism,” a logical target would be a massive memorial in Washington D.C. honoring a man who:
• Owned 600 slaves whom he coerced into working his massive mansion and plantation by regular beatings
• Forced children to work in his nail factory and physically punished those who didn’t make quota
• Fathered six children by a black slave who served as his “concubine” after the death of his wife
He also hypocritically wrote that “all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.” Yep, that man was none other than Thomas Jefferson!
It’s complicated. I get that. I want to be sensitive to people’s feelings. I am completely opposed to hate groups of any political, religious and ideological stripe. But I also firmly believe:
• There are no perfect leaders. Moses was a murderer. King David was murderer and adulterer. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a plagiarizer and philanderer. And yet they made invaluable contributions to their time and beyond.
• Destroying symbols of our unsavory past will not solve the reality of our unsettled future.
• Constructively working at solving concrete conflicts rather than emotionally reacting to symbolic images is what is needed.
Copyright © James N. Watkins
• Is it 1984 in America?
• The Un-tied States of America
• Were Founding Fathers Christian?
Photo from National Park Service. Lifting into place statue of Thomas Jefferson at his memorial.
If you found this helpful, please share on your social networks. Thanks!