Welcome to hope and humor! Brain imaging has revealed laughter produces natural opiates which promote a sense of euphoria and well-being! So, thanks for stopping by for some encouragement, entertainment and endorphins!
I’m James (call me “Jim”) Watkins, an author, speaker and clinically depressed soul who, by God’s grace. writes encouraging and entertaining books, articles and online posts. Isn’t that crazy? (Here’s my official bio if you’re suffering from severe insomnia.) Hope and humor offers:
Hopeful and humorous posts
As a magazine and newspaper columnist and writer since 1982, I’ve had 2,500 pieces published, so here are some of my favorites on everything from sects to sex!
Free book excerpts
Grab a cup of over-priced coffee, settle back in a comfortable chair, and pretend you’re browsing my books at Barnes and Nobles. (Put on some New Age music to complete the effect.)
Find my daily cartoons of “Hope and Humor” (and occasionally, “Evil Jim’s” “Mope and Murmor”) on Facebook and Instagram.
While tramping around the United States in a motor home, Lois and I developed comedy/drama sketches that played well in churches, camps and conferences. Here are scripts of our favorites you are free to use on a donation basis.
I’m passionate about bringing hope and humor to my audiences—as well as teaching others to do so—through conferences and seminars across the U.S. and overseas. Enjoy a variety of topics on audio and video. I’d love to bring hope and humor to your church, conference or convenience store grand opening.
During the 70s and 80s, my wife and I traveled the United States sharing original music, which now lives on YouTube. If you were at a church, camp or conference where we sang, enjoy a blast from the past.
Olin Miller observes, “Writing is the hardest way of earning a living, with the possible exception of wrestling alligators.” I would totally agree, but it is possible. So, here’s some hope, humor and help as you wrestle those alligators.
So, thanks for stopping by. If you enjoyed this site, please . . .
• Recommend www.hopeandhumor.org to your family and family through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, hot-air balloon . . . whatever.
• Like my Facebook and Instagram pages for daily hope and humor. This site is updated each Sunday.
• Link from your blog or website to mine. And if you see something especially hopeful or humorous, please share the link.
• Follow this site on RSS feed.
• Donate to support this online ministry securely through PayPal For a gift of any amount, I’ll send you an eBook of Squeezing Good Out of Bad. (Be sure to include your email address.) For a gift of $50 or more, I’ll mail you a leather-bound edition of my The Imitation of Christ: Classic Devotions in Today’s Language. Thanks for your consideration.
• Pray. Thanks for your prayers that “Hope & Humor” will provide encouragement, entertainment and legal, natural opiates!
4 thoughts on “About”
I will be teaching a creative writing course at Ohio Christian University this fall. Do you have a recommendation for a good creative writing textbook? The class will be 1:15, two days a week for 15 weeks. It’s a new course that I am currently putting together.
Thanks for your help,
Hi Dennis, tell me a bit more about the class. An Introduction to Christian Writing by Ethel Herr would be a very good overall view of the Christian writing market, but may not be the “creative” angle you want. My books Communicate to Change Lives and Writers on Writing are used at Taylor University, but–again–address writing for publication
Bob, Good is good all the time; all the time, God is good!, Lindenberger here. I would just like to say all good reading and all articles help me with my walk with Jesus. Thank you for trusting and obeying the Holy Spirit to help a poor beggar like me. (Witnessing is one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread).
thank you for suggestion,